SA to address outdated travel ban list after Sexwale US detention

The department of international relations would continue in its attempts to rectify the travel restrictions of former ANC freedom fighters in some international countries, it said on Monday.

"The SA government has repeatedly raised this matter with the US and will continue until this matter is sorted," said international relations spokesman Clayson Monyela.

The Times reported earlier that ANC stalwart Tokyo Sexwale had been briefly detained by immigration control at the John F Kennedy International Airport in New York, while en route to Miami.

His lawyer Leslie Makhabela said: "They alleged he posed a threat to international security."

Sexwale and many other anti-apartheid activists had been on a list of people banned from entering several countries since the apartheid era.

They were not removed after the country gained democracy in 1994.

Sexwale had since returned to the country.

Mkhabela yesterday said that Sexwale had asked his lawyers to take up the matter with the US ambassador on his return.

"He was released but, on his return, he instructed us to write to the US ambassador to lodge a complaint about the incident and the treatment he received while he was held," said Mkhabela.

"There was an assurance about 10 years ago that everyone who was on the list had been [cleared].

But Clayson Monyela, spokesman for International Relations and Cooperation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, said: "It has been brought to the attention of the US government, [which] is very much aware that there are names of former freedom fighters still on their terror list.

"They just need to remove those names."—Times Live

Post a comment